What to Talk About
Family Values About Drinking
When drinking is and isn’t appropriate:
- Is alcohol involved in family get-togethers? If so, how is safe drinking modeled by adults?
- What messages about drinking did you send to your student as they were growing up?
- What are the family beliefs about drinking socially?
- What are some family values that may be affected if unhealthy drinking occurs? Some families have concerns that drinking may lead to problems related to sexual activity, physical health, productivity in school, and careers.
Underage & High-Risk Drinking Dangers
The first section of this site explained some of the risks that your children will be exposed to at UNL. We encourage you to use that information to talk knowledgably to them about how that info relates to where they’ll be living.
Why People Choose to Drink
- Peer pressure
- Escape from the stresses of college life.
- Misperception that everyone is drinking, or it’s just part of college life.
How to Stay Safe if Drinking
This section (explored in greater detail to come) presents:
- Students who choose to drink can take steps to stay safe.
- This section presents strategies for dealing with different situations in greater depth.